I’ve always been on the lookout for unique and lesser-known games that don’t always receive the recognition they deserve. In this blog article, I want to shed light on some underrated gems across different gaming platforms. Specifically, I’ll be focusing on underrated Switch games, underrated PS2 games, and underrated Xbox games. I’ll highlight the standout features, discuss why these games are underappreciated, and provide recommendations for newcomers to this underrated gaming scene.
Underrated Switch Games
- The Nintendo Switch has been a hub for indie and lesser-known titles. One such game is “The Messenger” by Sabotage Studio. This retro-inspired action-platformer combines tight controls, engaging gameplay, and a clever time-traveling mechanic. It pays homage to classic Ninja Gaiden while infusing its own charm and humor.
- Another hidden gem on the Switch is “Moonlighter” by Digital Sun. This game seamlessly blends shopkeeping simulation with dungeon-crawling action. As a daring shopkeeper, you venture into mysterious dungeons, collect loot, and manage your store during the day. It offers a delightful balance between exploration, combat, and economic management.
Underrated PS2 Games
- The PlayStation 2 era brought us countless memorable titles, but some flew under the radar. “Okami” by Clover Studio stands as a prime example. This visually stunning action-adventure game draws inspiration from Japanese folklore, featuring a wolf goddess on a quest to restore a world consumed by darkness. Its unique cel-shaded art style and innovative brush mechanics make it a truly captivating experience.
- Another underrated gem for the PS2 is “Shadow of Memories” by Konami. This time-traveling adventure game revolves around solving a murder mystery with the aid of time manipulation. Its thought-provoking narrative, branching paths, and multiple endings make it an enthralling and underrated entry in the genre.
Underrated Xbox Games
- The original Xbox may have had its share of underappreciated titles. One such game is “Beyond Good & Evil” by Ubisoft. This action-adventure game follows the journey of Jade, a photojournalist uncovering a government conspiracy. With its memorable characters, immersive world, and diverse gameplay elements, this title stands as an underrated gem that deserves more recognition.
- “Psychonauts” by Double Fine Productions is another noteworthy but often overlooked game for the Xbox. This imaginative platformer takes place in a summer camp for psychic children. It boasts a whimsical storyline, creative-level design, and a quirky sense of humor that sets it apart from other titles in the genre.
All In All…
The world of gaming is vast and filled with hidden gems waiting to be discovered. From the underrated Switch games like “The Messenger” and “Moonlighter” to the lesser-known PS2 games such as “Okami” and “Shadow of Memories,” and the underrated Xbox titles like “Beyond Good & Evil” and “Psychonauts,” these games offer unique experiences often overshadowed by popular franchises. Happy gaming!